Update #9 Content, Link building, Traffic, Keywords, Experiments, Earnings, Expenses
Lesson 10 Module 10
In June 2021, I've added 7 articles. This time, I wrote all 7 articles. I wanted to include one different type of post. These are data-rich posts, something like a resource page for a particular product. Google loves data, and I have realized that if I want to outsource such content, I have to create some myself and see how much time it takes for someone to gather all the information.
The result is that it takes a lot of time to create a data-rich blog post, somewhere between 3 and 4 days from start to finish. We are yet to see if it was worth it.
Except for the seven blog posts, I improved some old blog posts. In my weekly newsletter, I shared that I lost all of my keywords to one of the top money pages. I was able to get back the #4 position in under 12 hours. In less than 14 days, I recovered more than 80% from all the keywords I've lost. You can learn more in this blog post, "How to Recover Lost SEO Keywords and Organic Traffic."
I haven't done any external link building. I've focused mainly on internal link building and anchor text optimization.
Since in June, I wrote all articles myself, I didn't have any additional expenses.
Here is a screenshot from my US Amazon Earnings in June. Since I've managed to recover the traffic to one of my main money pages, the clicks for June went up in comparison to May.
The number of people who purchased through my affiliate links also went up. However, the number of items ordered was less than the items ordered in May. With the rising inflation all over the world, I won't be surprised if this trend continues. More people will start spending less money on sports and leisure items and pay much more attention to repairing instead of buying new things. And I support this new and growing consumer habit.
Honestly, I didn't expect 20% growth since I was able to add only seven new articles. My website is the weakest website among the top websites on the first page, and yet, somehow, it still outranks some of the strongest competitors in the niche. I can't wait to see what can happen when I have 1000 articles published.
Keywords and Rankings
I am happy and proud of how this website is doing so far. Even though I've added only seven experimental blog posts, the website didn't "bleed out" the keywords we acquired throughout May.
Another good thing is that the website wasn't affected by Google's June update.
Additional Tasks I Focused On During June
Building a niche website includes more than just publishing articles. I had to take the time to fix, improve, and implement some changes:
- I am incorporating Ezoic ads. It didn't go smoothly. I had DNS problems for a few days. The website was up and down until we finally resolved the problem. I had to upgrade from shared hosting to VPS, which caused some additional technical issues with my custom servers.
- Because of Google's June update on core web vitals, I had to improve speed and technical problems. This involved tweaking many settings, plugins, caching services, server-side optimizations.
- I had to make design and structural changes to the website. And more changes are yet to come.